Ijen Crater lies on the far eastern side of Java, near the city of Banyuwangi. It forms part of the Ijen volcano complex, which comprises a number of other volcanoes and craters. The lake situated in Ijen Crater is its most renowned feature, and its high sulfur content renders it a mesmerizing turquoise hue. It’s among the world’s biggest acidic lakes, with an area of approximately 0.3 square miles (0.8 square kilometers).
Besides the lake, the blue flames of Ijen Crater are also a significant attraction. They result from the combustion of sulfuric gases emitted by the volcano and are visible only at night. Visitors are required to wear gas masks to protect themselves from the sulfur fumes while enjoying the captivating sight.
Ijen Crater is encompassed by lush verdant forests and undulating hills, making it an idyllic location for nature enthusiasts. The hiking trail leading to the crater is a popular activity, offering stunning views of the surrounding landscapes throughout the journey.
For those planning a trip to Indonesia and wishing to relish the country’s natural beauty, Ijen Crater is an unmissable destination. This guide provides you with all the vital information required for a trip to Ijen Crater, such as how to get there, what to do and see, when to visit, where to stay, and more. So, sit back, relax, and embark on a journey to the heart of Ijen Crater, where you can witness the stunning beauty of the blue flames and turquoise lake.
Getting to Ijen Crater
Located on the easternmost tip of Java, Ijen Crater is a popular destination for nature lovers and adventure seekers. If you’re planning a trip to Indonesia and want to explore the country’s natural beauty, Ijen Crater should definitely be on your list of places to visit. In this guide, we’ll provide you with all the information you need to know about getting to Ijen Crater, including transportation options and travel times.
The nearest airport to Ijen Crater is Banyuwangi International Airport. You can fly to this airport on several domestic airlines, including Lion Air and Citilink, as well as some international airlines. Once you arrive at the airport, you can hire a taxi or take a shuttle bus to the town of Banyuwangi. The journey takes around 45 minutes to an hour, depending on traffic. From there, you can either hire a local guide or take a tour to Ijen Crater.
Alternatively, you can take a train or bus from Surabaya or Yogyakarta to Banyuwangi. The train journey takes around 7-9 hours, while the bus journey takes around 10-12 hours. Once you arrive in Banyuwangi, you can follow the same route as mentioned above to get to Ijen Crater.
For the more adventurous travelers, renting a motorbike and riding to Ijen Crater from Banyuwangi is also an option. The journey takes around 2-3 hours, and the road offers stunning views of small villages and rolling hills.
No matter how you choose to get there, visiting Ijen Crater is an unforgettable experience that’s well worth the journey.
When planning a visit to Ijen Crater, it’s crucial to consider the best time to go. The ideal time to visit is during the dry season, which starts from April and lasts until September. This season offers clear skies and sunshine, making it the perfect weather for hiking to the crater. Furthermore, it increases your chances of witnessing the mesmerizing blue flames at night.
However, keep in mind that Ijen Crater is a popular destination and can get overcrowded during peak season. To avoid the crowds, it’s better to plan your visit on weekdays instead of weekends or public holidays.
Additionally, it’s always a good idea to check the weather forecast before embarking on your journey to Ijen Crater. If heavy rain or strong winds are expected, the hiking trail may be closed for safety reasons. Therefore, it’s essential to plan accordingly to avoid any disappointments.
What to Bring to Ijen Crater
If you’re planning a trip to Ijen Crater, it’s crucial to have the necessary gear and supplies to make the most of your experience. Here are some essentials to keep in mind:
- Hiking shoes: The hike to Ijen Crater can be quite demanding, with uneven and rocky terrain. It’s important to wear sturdy hiking shoes to protect your feet and ankles from injury.
- Warm clothing: Temperatures at Ijen Crater can drop drastically, particularly during the night. Be sure to bring warm clothing like a jacket, gloves, and a hat to keep yourself comfortable.
- Water and snacks: The hike to Ijen Crater can take several hours, so it’s crucial to stay hydrated and energized. Bring plenty of water and snacks to replenish yourself along the way.
- Headlamp or flashlight: If you’re planning to witness the blue flames at night, bring a headlamp or flashlight to light your path.
- Camera: Ijen Crater is a stunning and unique natural wonder, so don’t forget to capture its beauty on camera. Bring a camera or a smartphone with a good camera to take pictures and videos.
- Cash: Although some vendors may accept credit cards, it’s always wise to bring some cash for purchases like food, drinks, and souvenirs.
By packing these essentials, you’ll be fully prepared for your journey to Ijen Crater and able to relish in this extraordinary destination.
Accommodation Options Near Ijen Crater
If you’re planning a visit to Ijen Crater, it’s worth considering staying at one of the nearby accommodations to make your trip more comfortable. Here are some options:
1. Ijen View Hotel & Resort: This hotel is situated just a short 10-minute drive away from Ijen Crater and offers cozy rooms with breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains. The hotel also boasts an outdoor pool, spa, and restaurant. Ijen View Hotel & Resort rooms rate’s start from IDR 418,100 per night.
2. Jiwa Jawa Resort Ijen: This eco-friendly resort is located about 30 minutes away from Ijen Crater and offers luxurious bungalows with private balconies and stunning views. The resort also has a restaurant, bar, and outdoor pool. Jiwa Jawa Resort Ijen room rates start from IDR 1,481,253 per night.
3. Arabica Homestay: If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option, Arabica Homestay is a great choice. It’s situated about 10 minutes away from Ijen Crater and offers simple rooms with shared bathrooms. The homestay also has a shared kitchen and lounge area. Arabica Homestay room rates start from IDR 400,000.
4. Catimor Homestay: Another budget-friendly option, Catimor Homestay is located about 15 minutes away from Ijen Crater and offers basic rooms with shared bathrooms. The homestay also has a restaurant and shared kitchen.
5. Ijen Resort & Villas: This luxury resort is situated approximately 30 minutes away from Ijen Crater and offers spacious villas with private pools and magnificent views. The resort also has a spa, restaurant, and outdoor pool.
Ijen Resort & Villas rooms rates:
• Resort Deluxe IDR 1,500,000
• Villa Deluxe IDR 1,800,000
• Junior Suite IDR 1,900,000
These are some accommodation options to help you prepare for your journey or to relax and rejuvenate after your adventure to Ijen Crater.
Local Cuisine and Dining Options
As a travel expert, I highly recommend experiencing the local cuisine when visiting Ijen Crater. Here are some top dining options to try:
- Warung Ijen Resto: For a truly authentic taste of Indonesia, head to Warung Ijen Resto. Their menu boasts classic dishes such as nasi goreng (fried rice), mie goreng (fried noodles), and sate (skewered meat). The restaurant offers a serene view of the rice paddies, making it a perfect spot to relax and enjoy the flavors of the region.
- Lembah Hijau Restaurant: If you’re craving a mix of flavors, Lembah Hijau Restaurant in the nearby town of Banyuwangi is an excellent choice. The restaurant serves up a variety of dishes ranging from Indonesian and Chinese to Western cuisine. Plus, the lush garden and outdoor seating area make for a lovely dining experience.
- Kedai Kopi Klotok: For coffee lovers, Kedai Kopi Klotok in Banyuwangi is a must-visit. They serve locally grown coffee along with an array of snacks and light meals. Savor the rich aroma of coffee while indulging in some of the best brews in the region.
- Bakso Pak Bawor: Bakso (meatball soup) is a popular Indonesian dish, and Bakso Pak Bawor is known for serving some of the best bakso in Banyuwangi. Aside from their renowned meatball soup, they also serve a variety of other Indonesian dishes that are sure to please your taste buds.
- Ijen Resto: Located near the entrance of Ijen Crater, Ijen Resto offers simple yet flavorful Indonesian dishes. Don’t miss out on their nasi campur (mixed rice) and gado-gado (vegetable salad with peanut sauce). This restaurant is a great choice for a quick and satisfying meal before or after your Ijen Crater adventure.
Safety and Travel Tips
If you’re planning a visit to Ijen Crater, it’s essential to take some safety and travel tips into consideration. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Dress appropriately: The weather around Ijen Crater can be unpredictable, so make sure to bring warm clothing and comfortable, sturdy footwear. This is particularly important as the area can be muddy and slippery.
- Bring a light source: If you’re planning to hike to the crater at night to see the famous blue fire, bring a flashlight or headlamp. The trail can be dark and difficult to navigate without proper lighting.
- Hire a guide: Hiring a guide is recommended when hiking to Ijen Crater. They can provide valuable information about the area and ensure that you stay on the right path.
- Stick to designated paths: It’s important to stay on designated paths when hiking around Ijen Crater to ensure the safety of both visitors and the environment. The terrain can be unstable and dangerous outside of these paths.
- Beware of sulfur fumes: The sulfur fumes around Ijen Crater can be harmful in high concentrations. Avoid breathing in the fumes and wear a mask or scarf to cover your nose and mouth.
The unique volcanic landscape of Ijen Crater offers visitors the opportunity to witness some of nature’s most incredible wonders. From the mesmerizing blue fire to the stunning turquoise lake, this destination is a must-see for anyone traveling to East Java.
While it’s important to keep safety in mind when visiting Ijen Crater, the experience of hiking to the crater and taking in the breathtaking views is well worth it.
With its awe-inspiring natural beauty, rich culture, and delicious local cuisine, Ijen Crater is an unforgettable destination that should be on every traveler’s bucket list. Start planning your trip today and discover the incredible wonders of Ijen Crater for yourself!